Latest information related to COVID-19

Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) for current and future students, their families and educational advisor

General information

State: New Hampshire
Population: 14,638
Area: 24.8 Square Miles
Currency: United States Dollar
Electricity: 120V
Languages: English
Religions: Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Presbyterian, Unitarian Universalist, Episcopalian and more.


Durham, New Hampshire has a wonderfully diverse climate with warm summers, cold winters and a mild spring and fall. The unpredictable weather which can change very quickly is often a topic of polite conversation. The average low temperature is around 24 °F (-4 °C) and highest is around 85 °F (29 °C) over the year.

Things to do

Ski, hike, shop, play soccer, golf, bike, white water rafting, go to live concerts, go to the beach, visit art galleries, go to Fishercats baseball games, kayak, golf, whale watch, go to Boston.

United States Currency

The currency is the U.S. Dollar and bills are issued in denominations of $100, $50, $20, $10, $5 and $1. Coins are issued in denominations of 25¢, 10¢, 5¢ and 1¢ cent(s). Penny = $ .01, Dime = $ .10, Nickel = $ .05, Quarter = $ .25
Tip: It is common to carry small bills and Quarters. Larger purchases are usually paid for via credit or debit card. The most commonly used credit cards are VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

U.S. Bank Account

  1. Opening an U.S. Bank Account
    • After arriving on the UNH campus, you will have the opportunity to speak to bank representatives about opening a U.S. bank account.
  2. Checking Account (You must be at least 18 years and old)
    • You can apply for a Debit card or Credit card. You can use these cards to get cash from ATM machines, shop in-store or online and even to make your tuition payment.
    • You can also ask for a check book. These personal checks can be used for tuition payment, to pay rent or other bills.
  3. Savings Account (Under 18 years)
    • Please note: If you are under 18, you can only apply for a Cash (ATM) card. This card can only be used to get cash from ATM machines. But you can use your Savings account to pay your tuition or other bills by asking your bank for a Cashier check or arranging for a wire transfer.
  4. Money Transfer
    • You can transfer money to your U.S. Checking or Savings bank account from your home country. Check with your bank about the procedure, fees and how long it takes.
    • You can also transfer funds out of your U.S. accounts, in example for tuition payments.

Post Office

The U.S. post office is the most commonly used method of delivery for mail within the United States. For packages or mail within the U.S., please see the example address below.

Mr. /Mrs. /Ms. First Name Last Name
1234 Road Name
City, State, Zip Code

Students interested in sending mail to their home country will be advised to look into using a service such as FedEx, DHL, or UPS.

Students living in the residence halls are assigned a mail box in the Memorial Union Building. The address you will use to have items mailed to you is:

Your Name
[Your mailbox number] Granite State Room
Durham, NH 03824

Identification Card

In order to purchase alcohol or attend events where alcohol will be served, you will need to prove that you are 21 years or older. You will need one piece of official ID with your name, photo and date of birth on it (passport or driver's license / state ID). If you do not have a driver's license, you can obtain an official New Hampshire identification card. New Hampshire ID cards are available through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

  • Bring one piece of primary and one piece of secondary identification to any driver licensing office.
  • Pay the New Hampshire ID card fee and have your photo taken.

Local Media

Newspapers Television Radio
New Hampshire Union Leader WMUR (local) WHEB
The Portsmouth Herald WENH (local) WOKQ
Foster's Daily Democrat WPXG (local) WUNH